WINTER ARCTIC CIRCLE TOUR
Take off for the ultimate Alaskan roadtrip as you venture north on the famed Dalton Highway to reach the Arctic Circle. Absorb the immensity of the Alaskan tundra, see the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, and cross over the Yukon River on this scenic drive toward the gates of the Arctic.
Take off for the ultimate Alaskan roadtrip as you venture north on the famed Dalton Highway to reach the Arctic Circle. Absorb the immensity of the Alaskan tundra, see the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, and cross over the Yukon River on Airlink’s scenic Arctic Circle Tour.
After pick up from your Fairbanks hotel, head north towards the Arctic Circle. We’ll stop at a local grocery store for food and water before driving across vast and barren stretches of the immense tundra. The road loosely follows the Trans-Alaska Pipeline as it snakes its way across the landscape. This adventure will last 14 hours.
Arctic Circle Tour
Most of this journey takes place on the famed James Dalton Highway. The Dalton Highway is the lifeline between Fairbanks and the oil fields of Prudhoe Bay on the Arctic Ocean. The sights will be familiar to those who watch the show “Ice Road Truckers.”
Cover a total of 400 miles (640 km) of wild northern terrain, making stops along the way to snap photos and stretch your legs. Walk on the frozen Yukon River near the only bridge in America that crosses it. Spot the promontory of Finger Mountain and arrive at the Arctic Circle Sign, where you can collect a commemorative Arctic Circle certificate before the return drive to Fairbanks.
The Northern Lights are often visible on the return trip to Fairbanks. This Arctic Circle Tour can double as an Aurora Borealis Tour as the ride home offers many wide open views of the night sky. There are rest stops along the way. Here are the stops in chronological order:
- Fred Meyer’s™
- Trans-Alaska Pipeline
- Yukon River Bridge
- Finger Mountain
- Arctic Circle Monument (Certificate Presentation)
Note: Food and drink are not included in the tour price. Airlink will take guests shopping for a day’s worth of food at the beginning of the journey. Smoking is not allowed inside the Airlink vans. Guests can smoke outside of the vehicle at the numerous sightseeing stops. Please dress for comfort and utility (walking shoes, rain coat) as we will be out of the van and on our feet on many occasions and weather conditions can change quickly.
*Visiting Fairbanks during the summer months? Check out Airlink’s Summer Tours to find out how you can literally walk on the Yukon River water!
- 7 a.m. departure from Fairbanks
- Visit the official Trans-Alaska Pipeline Visitors Center and take photos standing under these 800 mile long behemoth.
- Cross the mighty Yukon River north of Fairbanks. This is the only bridge crossing the Yukon in the United States.
- Finger Mountain Hike — Take a short walk to a naturally occurring tor known as Finger Mountain. You are now just a few miles away from the Arctic Circle and above the tree line.
- Arctic Circle Signpost — Take a picture with your group or your guide in front on the sign and receive your official Arctic Circle Crossing Certificate!
- 9 p.m. arrival back at your accommodation in Fairbanks.
REVIEWS FOR WINTER ARCTIC CIRCLE TOUR
Submit your review